That time of the month rolls around, and you dread the moment when you will begin to feel that deep pain in your lower abdomen that can only mean one thing: your period is back (yet again).
Women seldom speak about period cramps likely because, despite how painful they can be, they are such a normal part of most women’s lives. In fact, over 80% of women experience period cramps regularly, and about 43% of women feel period cramps during every period.
If you are like most women, you try your best to deal with it without medication. You only break down to take something for pain if it begins to be disruptive or if it becomes unbearable. Or, often most importantly, when severe cramping keeps you from getting a restful night's sleep.
How did women deal with period cramps before the rise of laboratory-made medicine? Are there natural solutions to period cramps that will reduce your period pain?
To try and find natural solutions to menstrual cramps, we must turn to no other than eastern medicine – in existence as long as the beginning of human civilization.
Traditional Chinese Medicine includes several herbs and plants that help to reduce period pain. In the west, we don’t know much about them, unfortunately. So, in this article, we will reveal several herbs used in Traditional Chinese Medicine that effectively reduce period pain.
First, however, let’s understand period pain from the perspective of Chinese medicine.
Traditional Chinese Medicine and Period Pain
The most outstanding characteristic of Traditional Chinese Medicine is that it doesn’t only work to mask symptoms to help you feel better. Traditional Chinese Medicine aims to restore disruptions at the core of your body that are causing pain and discomfort.
According to the Chinese philosophy of wellbeing, “health” is maintained when a balance between hot, cold, wet and dry characteristics are established in the body. A lack of balance between these elements leads to a disruption in your chi - or energy - resulting in pain, discomfort and illness.
Therefore, the goal of TCM is to reestablish your Chi by carrying out prescribed activities and taking herbs and other plants. These herbs and activities have a direct impact on core organs responsible for changes in chi.
From the perspective of Traditional Chinese Medicine, some of the most common causes of period pain are excessive heat in the pelvic region or stagnation of the from of Chi and a blood deficiency or stagnation. The goal of Traditional Chinese Medicine is to promote healthy blood flow, especially through stimulation of the liver. The liver is the organ that, from the perspective of TCM, promotes smooth blood and energy flow through the body.
Therefore, most Chinese herbs will focus on how to re-establish blood flow and stimulate the liver, other organs and organ channels (how organs communicate with each other) related to blood stasis, pain and inflammation.
Traditional Chinese Herbs That Will Calm Cramps and Reduce PMS
Below are nine Traditional Chinese Herbs and that have been used for centuries to reduce period pain and PMS symptoms.
- Angelica Root: This root works as a tonic for the blood and helps to regulate the menses by improving circulation and relieving contractions.
- Lovage Root: This herb helps to promote qi and promote healthy circulation while relieving pain, difficulty during menstruation and amenorrhea. It also promotes the movement of blood caused by blood stasis, referring to micro clots in the circulatory system.
- Corydalis Rhizome: Corydalis helps to relieve spasms and pain that characterize menstrual cramps by way of the lung, liver, and spleen channels.
- White Peony Root: Peony root clears toxic heat that can cause menstrual cramps and cools the blood while clearing blood stasis and removing micro clots. It is also an anti-inflammatory.
- Motherwort: This helps to regulate the menses and relieving premenstrual abdominal pain by invigorating blood flow.
- Peach Kernel: When the blood is stagnated (due to blood loss during the period) pain, and inflammation can result. Peach kernels will break up blood stasis and helps to inhibit pain and fight inflammation.
- Safflower: One of the causes of menstrual cramps is blood stagnation. Safflower, in its natural form, helps to invigorate circulation by breaking up blood stasis and promoting circulation. It is also an anti-spasmodic, helping to relieve spasms associated with menstrual cramps.
- Foxglove Root (Rehmannia): This herb is a blood tonic. Since many women tend to feel weaker during their menstrual period, this herb is used to reestablish normal strength in women. It acts through the heart, kidney, and liver channels.
- Nut Grass: This helps to inhibit uterine contraction that causes cramps and pain before and during menstruation.
Chinese Traditional herbs have been demonstrated, even by Western medicine, to be effective in helping to reduce period pain.
You have probably never heard of most of these herbs and are now thinking – “these all sound great – but they certainly are not found in my local drug store!”
Luckily for those of us that do not live in Asian countries where medicinal herb stores are easily found, there is a great alternative. Extrapolents are supplements that contain an ideal combination of traditional Chinese herbs for specific health issues.
For menstrual cramps, an all-natural extrapolent is called Cramp Whisperer. It's a natural cramp reliever that includes a combination of the nine traditional Chinese herbs mentioned above, plus Thiamine HCL, which can help to reduce the severity of PMS without any side effects.
These herbs, which have been used for centuries, help to re-establish the internal balance which, when disturbed, causes menstrual cramps. The Cramp Whisperer tablets are an easy and natural way to help treat menstrual cramps without the need for synthetic drugs.
Click here to shop our Cramp Whisperer online now if you’re ready to finally experience relief.
Additionally, if your cramps are keeping you awake at night, or if you have regular problems with insomnia, look into Quiet Please from Balance Blends.